Thursday, February 19, 2009

Grateful

Today I am grateful. I am feeling grateful for so many things. It was triggered today as I was sitting in my Social Welfare 1010 class and we were talking about domestic and dating abuse. As I mentioned earlier, I recently broke up with my boyfriend. That was something that was really hard for me, and it kept weighing on me. Today in my class, my thoughts turned to how grateful I am that I made that decision. One of my favorite quotes comes from William Shakespeare: "To thine own self be true, and it must follow as the night and day, thou canst not be false to any man." In that relationship, I was not true to myself. I didn't realize it then, but as I look back, I changed immensely. I wasn't happy.

Coincidentally, after the break up, many people, some whom I didn't even realize were aware of the situation, have mentioned to me that I have been in their prayers. This seemingly simple act from those people hits me hard. It makes me feel so loved to know that someone out there cares enough about me to mention me to Heavenly Father, and I have truely felt of His blessings. I cannot express enough thanks to those people who have shown love to me. You are in my prayers as well.

After a challenge from my bishop to read my scriptures more regularly, I began to read my scriptures while I eat breakfast in the morning. I figure, I can't make it through my day without eating breakfast, so I shouldn't be able to make it through a day without reading my scriptures. Already, I have felt so many positive effects of reading my scriptures regularly, I am more alert, I'm much happier, and it is easier for me to concentrate. Who knew!?

As time has gone on, and I have been more aware of my many many blessings, I have learned to love my life and to live it to the fullest. I find myself smiling while I walk across campus just because the sun is shining, or because I enjoyed my class. I love just soaking in the moments of happiness even if they seem insignificant. Happiness is truely a choice and it's a lot easier to make that choice when we are first, happy with who we are. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing!! That was great to read and get me going in the morning!!! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, then I am so glad that you have changed your relationship status. You have always been such a great example of happiness and it breaks my heart to think that you were unhappy for a time. You deserve the best and don't settle for anything less. Thanks for the post and keep smiling!! :)

    ReplyDelete